Sunday, May 7, 2017

8 Things for Christians to Think On Every Day

(List stolen borrowed from a devotion my mom read to me and my siblings a few weeks ago. If you know where I can give attribution or a linkback, I'd be happy to!)

We hear it said, "your thought life is your life."

(source)

If our thought life is so important, I just wonder... What are we thinking? What are we believing? And do we believe everything we think?

(source)

When my mom shared this list with me, I copied it down because (speaking for myself) having a solid list of 8 good things to purpose to think on every day is definitely a step in the right direction of having a healthy, God-glorifying thought life. (The parentheses are my thoughts on the main points, and credit to my Pinterest quote boards for all these images!)

1. Look for the best.

(Especially in your family members.)

(source)

2. Give sincere compliments.

(I love compliments that are about the people, rather than about their clothes or something superficial like that. If you notice your waiter is just an all-around awesome waiter, compliment them on a job well done! The world has enough critics; be an intentional encourager.)

(source)

3. Be quick to admit your mistakes.

(Pride and perfectionism might lie to you that you're the only one tripping up. Fight it. Stay humble and honest. Where you can't, He can.)

(source)

4. Be the first to apologize.

(Yep.)

(source)

5. Know and admit your limitations.

(Again with the humility and honesty. I really do believe the more broken you are, the more strong and faithful God can show Himself through you.❤)

(source)

6. Be a servant to others.

(A servant doesn't get to pick how he's serving, either. And he's not surprised when he's treated like a lowly slave. We get too excited about having a "servant's heart" because we don't let ourselves fully see what having a heart for being a servant really means.)

(source)

7. Keep a learning mindset.

(If you think you've "arrived", you haven't.)

(source)

8. Always give God credit.

(If you see good things happening in your life, remember from Whom comes every good and perfect gift.)

(source)

I've kept this little list by my bedside for the past few weeks, and it's just a humbling reminder! Other things I try to remember every day are 1) I remember how I was treated at [x] years old, and these siblings of mine are going to remember, too. Let me give them something good to remember and grow out of. 2) I'm not promised tomorrow. So if something needs to be done or said today, let it be done today. 3) Good is the biggest obstacle of great. Just because something I'm doing is "good", if it can be purged to bear truly great fruit for Christ, how dare I let myself be satisfied in mediocrity?

Do you have any daily thoughts you purpose to remember?

(source)


5 comments:

  1. Great post, and I love the new blog look!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I'm still tweaking it, so stay tuned. :)

      Delete
  2. Wow! The polka dots are gone! I'm kind of sad about that, but I also love the bright colors. They're quite cheery! :)

    Those thoughts are some very good ones to keep in mind, and I definitely think I'll copy them down and put them somewhere that I can see them when I get home. They're the sort I need to be reminded of throughout the day! :) I love the phrase from Pinterest... It goes something like this.."You can worry.. Or you can trust God. You can't do both. " That's a reminder I need to keep in mind, because I forget to trust Him so easily! And there's also the convicting saying (from Pinterest as well!;) "What if you only had today what you thanked God for yesterday?" That's a scary thing to consider, but one that bears attention! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Just so you know, "David Getchell" is actually Jenny Getchell. I'm just having a hard time staying signed in to my google pus account. :)

      Delete
    2. I'm not sure the polka dots are gone forever, but I just don't know exactly how I want them incorporated, yet. I do love yellow, though! And blue! They're my favorite. :)

      I especially love that one about only having what you thanked God for yesterday! If we don't really purpose to make thanksgiving a priority in our lives, it slips so fast! The answer for most of us would probably be "not much"... Thanks for the reminder, Jenny!

      Delete

I love comments almost as much as I love dark chocolate (and that's a lot!), so be sure to leave your thoughts for me!!

All comments are moderated, so if you don't see your comment right away, don't worry, just give it a couple of hours to be published.

Thanks so very much for reading!

01 09 10 01 09 10