Sunday, April 30, 2017

Learning to Know God



God.

The Creator and sustainer of the universe. Sure, you believe in Him. He exists; how else would human anatomy be logically explained? It takes more faith to believe in evolution than it does to believe in Creation. You guys are already at this level, right?

But did you know... He can be known?

Did you know you can be one with Him? Did you know you can learn to walk with Him in your life without running your squatty little legs overtime? You can be together. You and Him can enjoy the closest of fellowships possible. You can be closer with Him than with your spouse, family members, and best friends.

It is possible!

But... do you know Him like that?

Proverbs 3:5-6 says, "Trust in the LORD with all thine heart; and lean not unto thine own understanding. In all thy ways acknowledge him, and he shall direct thy paths."

You probably know that, too, right?

It's okay. We're not talking head knowledge right now. This is deeper than your normal blog post. This is on knowing God.


That word 'acknowledge' from Proverbs 3—any ideas on what that means? Tip your hat in morning greeting as you pass on the sidewalk?

'Acknowledge' comes from the Hebrew word 'yada' [יָדַע] which was the same word used in Genesis chapter 4 when Adam knew his wife and conceived. He acknowledged his wife. He came to know her as intimately as she could be known. They became one.

So to acknowledge God in all our ways??

What??

Wouldn't that kind of be like knowing Him so well we know His heart on every aspect of our lives? Like we would a close sibling or friend, we know the words He's about to say even before they're said? We know Him in every area as closely and intimately as He can possibly be known?

Wow.

When you know someone that well, usually you trust them pretty well, too, right?

Thus, I think, we can't just will ourselves and grit our teeth and trust God more. We learn to know Him more, and we trust Him more through that deepening relationship. I'm starting to think Proverbs 3:5-6 is less about trusting (as I always thought it was) and more about knowing God which results in trusting Him.

How do we know God?


We learn to know God's heart principally through the study and meditation of His Word, the Bible.

Prayer, also, is absolutely key. You don't get to be someone's closest friend (or spouse) by talking to them for five minutes a day, or only thirty seconds prior to each meal.

For me, I'm just in the stage of life where it clicks really well, so maybe this isn't even applicable, but maybe you could pursue knowing God like you would pursue a young man courting you or engaged to you. I know young ladies don't "pursue", but they put plenty of time into it. Pursuing their letters looking for all possible (but improbable) hidden messages. Pursuing phone conversations as often as possible. Pursuing their suitor's old social media pictures, trying to figure out who this guy "really is" (don't scoff. You know you do it, too).

If we all pursued God like that we'd probably know Him so much better than we all do, and our trust would be so much stronger through that growing in a living relationship.

John 17:3, "And this is life eternal, that they might know thee the only true God, and Jesus Christ, whom thou hast sent."

Eternal life = knowing God?!

Why have I never heard this before?!

Maybe we weren't saved to escape the fire and brimstone awaiting our transgressions. Maybe we were saved and gifted eternal life to know God.


**I just want to praise the Lord for convicting me about knowing Him through a series of devotions I was apart of with Gabriel Cleator this past week in the Big Sandy ATI Family Conference. I feel so blessed to have gleaned from Gabe as the leader of the Children's Institute program, where I taught. God worked in my heart about knowing Him better, through those early morning group devotions, and my heart is so full I just had to pass it along. :)


6 comments:

  1. Yes, a few months ago, at a revival, that's what the evangelist said...and it just clicked! We're not only saved just so we can go to Heaven, but also so we can have a relationship with God! ;).....I enjoyed the blog post. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes! How amazing that the God of the whole universe wants to know you and I?!

      You're so welcome! Have a lovely week!!

      Delete
  2. Elizabeth WilliamsMay 4, 2017 at 10:22 AM

    I love these thoughts! I agree with what you wrote, and I would also add that you really get to know Him through the fires of affliction. When you know what He's said, but then you actually get to experience for yourself firsthand, that definitely helps us to know Him better ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. SO true! I think, at least in my life, the hardest times have been the times when I've really spent tons of extra time in prayer and study of the Scriptures. I've seen Him draw me to Himself when He knows He's the only way for me to make it through. He's so good!

      Delete
  3. Ah, Kimberly, I really needed this the morning it first came out! What a precious thought, that we can know the Creator of all, the God of glory. I especially loved your phrase about knowing the words He's about to say even before they're said. :) I'm nowhere near that, but I think it's such a special thought! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nah, none of us are. His ways and thoughts are SO much higher than ours! But yes. It's so beautiful to try to seek after God like that! I've been especially blessed by Psalm 27:4 and Lamentations 3:25 this past week, on this subject. :)

      Delete

I love comments almost as much as I love dark chocolate (and that's a lot!), so be sure to leave your thoughts for me!!

All comments are moderated, so if you don't see your comment right away, don't worry, just give it a couple of hours to be published.

Thanks so very much for reading!

01 09 10 01 09 10