Saturday, February 11, 2017

7 Scriptures I Turn to for Encouragement



Recently I read an article on another blog about looking to the "great heroes of our faith", and how dangerous that can be. The author was totally right: those Spiritual leaders can encourage, exhort, and edify us, but if they aren't pointing us ultimately to God and His Word, they aren't worthy of our following.

Of course Corrie ten Boom was an amazing lady, and she definitely had some extremely inspirational words to leave behind, but when I'm stuck in the mud of life, I should be turning to the Bible, and not punching 'Corrie ten Boom' into the Pinterest search engine. That makes sense, doesn't it?

Where do I turn, though?

What verses are my solace? My empowering confidence? My encouragement?

Here are just seven:

Joshua 1:8-9


This book of the law shall not depart out of thy mouth; but thou shalt meditate therein day and night, that thou mayest observe to do according to all that is written therein: for then thou shalt make thy way prosperous, and then thou shalt have good success. Have not I commanded thee? Be strong and of a good courage; be not afraid, neither be thou dismayed: for the LORD thy God is with thee whithersoever thou goest.

There's so much in the passage! Firstly, I love the part about success. Our modern, western culture has it so messed up! Secondly, I just love the thought of knowing I go into every battle- big and small- with God. I think because most of us haven't been in an actual war, we sometimes don't take the verses about wars and battles very personally. However, we all fight battles, every day. Spiritual, emotional, mental battles. It's even a battle just to keep our priority on Him sometimes! God goes with us through every battle.



Romans 8:31


What shall we then say to these things? If God be for us, who can be against us?

I always feel so strong when I read this verse. Even though we can know what 'these things' are by reading the preceding verses, I think you can just throw this in the face of any hurdle you face. Or, at least, that's what I do...

Ecclesiastes 12:13


Let us hear the conclusion of the whole matter: Fear God, and keep his commandments: for this is the whole duty of man.

The whole duty of man! How inspiring is that? Our duty is not to live happy lives, worry, achieve any certain set of goals, nothing like that! Just fear God and keep His commandments. I think this mostly is just so good at correcting my priority and life-focus.

Micah 6:8


He hath shewed thee, O man, what is good; and what doth the LORD require of thee, but to do justly, and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with thy God?

This is kind of like the Ecclesiastes one, but instead of our duty, this outlines what the LORD "requires" from us. Maybe when I most need encouragement is also when I need the most direction, humble pie, and priority adjusting...? My favorite "encouraging" verses might give that reflection, I suppose. Or, maybe, I need these reminders, when I'm feeling down, to make sure what I'm feeling down about is something God is down about, and not just me getting petty and selfish and temporal-minded.

1 Timothy 4:12


Let no man despise thy youth; but be thou an example of the believers, in word, in conversation, in charity, in spirit, in faith, in purity.

This was my "life verse" for several years. It's so strong in holding even the young accountable to high standards. "Be an example?! Of all of the believers?! But I'm only 15!!" No excuses.

Colossians 3:23-24


And whatsoever ye do, do it heartily, as to the Lord, and not unto men; Knowing that of the Lord ye shall receive the reward of the inheritance: for ye serve the Lord Christ.

This is so good for me. It doesn't matter what I'm doing- sharing the Gospel, or washing dishes- I am supposed to tackle the job heartily, as to the Lord!

2 Chronicles 14:11


And Asa cried unto the LORD his God, and said, LORD, it is nothing with thee to help, whether with many, or with them that have no power: help us, O LORD our God; for we rest on thee, and in thy name we go against this multitude. O LORD, thou art our God; let not man prevail against thee.

It is nothing for Him to help. Asa won that battle. Through God's strength. I believe you can win this battle, too, but only through the same strength Asa called upon.

Be strong in the Lord, everyone!

What are your go-to verses for encouragement?



5 comments:

  1. So good, Kimberly!! <3 This is such a great post idea...I might steal it. ;) I love all of these verses so much, especially the one in Joshua. Wow! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kimberly, this post was very helpful to me as I found it in my inbox. Late last night I learned that my grandpa is in the Intensive Care Unit after a major heart failure. He's had problems with his heart before,and it looks like his heart isn't strong enough to pull through this time. If you could,please pray for my family. Thank you for these words of encouragement.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jenny, I've been praying for you continuously ever since Mykaela let me know about your grandpa on Sunday morning. Much love! <3

      Delete
  3. I love these verses as well! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete

I love comments almost as much as I love dark chocolate (and that's a lot!), so be sure to leave your thoughts for me!!

All comments are moderated, so if you don't see your comment right away, don't worry, just give it a couple of hours to be published.

Thanks so very much for reading!

01 09 10 01 09 10