Friday, December 2, 2016

Personal Devotional 12.02.16




Good morning, world!

It is indeed rare I type, edit, and publish a post all in the same morning, but God answered one of my prayers this morning, and I just had to share with you all how He used His own Word- the verses I have already memorized/hidden in my heart, actually- to unravel my problems into a simple path of trusting a obeying.

God is so good to us!!

First, let me give you vague explanations about what dilemma I was facing in my heart:

1) Continue. Nothing much new. Nothing much harder than it always has been. Actually, pretty easy. It would last indefinitely until I would choose another path. This is basically my life as it sits now.

OR

2) Try something new. All new. All different. Hard. Right now. It could last just a couple months, and then back to option 1; it could change the entire trajectory of my life- I wouldn't know until I was already pretty far down the path.

It's a hard lot! To choose something hard and unfamiliar over the comfortable and controllable.

So my prayer was that God would settle my mind on this matter. Close the wrong doors, open the right doors, and continue leading me along the path of His perfect will. Grow my heart ever closer to His. Use me as a vessel to exalt His name and further His Kingdom.

It's been a matter pressing upon my heart for about a week and a half, now, and this morning, in he foggy stupor of waking and praying, He gave me direction.



And he that doubteth is damned if he eat, because he eateth not of faith: for whatsoever is not of faith is sin. (Romans 14:23)


... For whatsoever is not of faith is sin.

Is continuing in normal, easy, what-I've-always-done life, faith? I'm going to lean towards no.

Is trying something new, breaking the mold, and living a harder life, outside my comfort zone, faith? Maybe not in itself. But I think it would require more faith from me. More than being bear-hugged by my comfort zone, at least.

But without faith it is impossible to please him: for he that cometh to God must believe that he is, and that he is a rewarder of them that diligently seek him. (Hebrews 11:6)


But without faith it is impossible to please Him...

Something floats into my mind just about now about one of those good 'ol "Get Out of Your Comfort Zone" sermons. The most recent one I remember was by Pastor Troy Dorrell at Eastland Baptist Church, in Tulsa. It was titled "Get Out of The Boat", and focused around Peter stepping out of the boat in one of the Gospel accounts of Jesus walking on water. I can't give you the three points from it, but it was quite impressive on the point of God working bigger and greater when you get out of your comfort zone and can't handle all your troubles yourself.

In option 1, I can handle all of my problems myself. Pretty much.


Now faith is the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen. (Hebrews 11:1)


And this, the third verse God led through my mind this morning, reminds me God is most glorified when He gets me through the hard stuff, because He is the One who leaves behind evidence of things not seen. He lets the people watching my life see that I couldn't have done all that on my own, and they thus see Him in His greatness, as the only Way I could have made it through. When I hope on Him, and let the world around me know I will make it through because I have hope for His help, this more so glorifies Him and points others towards Him.

And that's all.

I don't really know why I felt compelled to share this with you all, but maybe one of you is feeling safe in your little snuggly comfort-zone-corner, too, and needing the nudge to walk through the door He has set before you.

I want to point out that God wouldn't have been able to speak to me so clearly (though I trust He would have found a way, any way it would have been) if I hadn't memorized those verses. Because I have hid those verses in my heart, He was able to bring them to the forefront of my mind at just the right time, and just in the right order, to show me clearly which path He would have me pursue.

And, yes. Pursue it I will. I'm not making any promises as to where I will be one year from today or what I will be doing, because maybe I'll be right back here at option 1. I'm trusting that even if He doesn't plan to change my life forever with this act of pursuing, maybe He has a plan to draw me closer to Him, or help someone else, in the collateral damage of running towards the open door. Maybe it will be closed in my face. Any way He chooses to glory Himself!

What has God been teaching you?





2 comments:

  1. Kimberly...
    I am definitely one who needs to be pushed out of her comfort zone! God has had to remind me so many times that He is in control,that if I let Him guide my life He will never,ever lead me astray. He knows everything,and I constantly forget that! If I had a friend who was really knowledgeable about,say, computers, wouldn't I go to them for technological advice? And so why,when I have a Friend who knows EVERYTHING,who loves me more than I can imagine, who is faithful,just and true,do I keep trying to make my own plans without consulting Him? Sometimes I get so sick of my old,weak flesh...!I am really,really bad about trying anything new.
    Anyway, thanks for the reminder, and the challenge to step out of my comfort zone in faith.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're so right, Jenny!! We are weak. He is strong! Thank you for sharing your heart!

      Delete

I love comments almost as much as I love dark chocolate (and that's a lot!), so be sure to leave your thoughts for me!!

All comments are moderated, so if you don't see your comment right away, don't worry, just give it a couple of hours to be published.

Thanks so very much for reading!

01 09 10 01 09 10