Monday, October 24, 2016

Peculiar Arts: Thankfulness Journaling + Pictures

We're about one month out from Thanksgiving!...??

Don't ask me how that happened. Pretty sure my wall calendar is still on June.

Nevertheless, I really love this time of the year, and for the next month, you'll probably be seeing more gratefulness/thankfulness/appreciation-promoting posts. Half because it's almost Thanksgiving; half because I need to preach to myself on the topic, anyways. Isn't it just way too easy to attribute the good things in life to yourself, and forget from Whom comes every good and perfect gift? (See James 1:17)

Back in February, I read One Thousand Gifts by Ann Voskamp. (You might remember me mentioning it in the Book Tag Post I posted back in August.) That book really fixed my perspective on some things. It's the little things that make life. The little choices. The little moments. The little gifts and blessings. I need to be more aware of this, and more purposeful in how I treat and react to those little things.

Even though the book was written by a mom, and it's probably more "geared towards" a mom audience, I took the challenge. I started a thankfulness journal. The journal I just happened to use has exactly 25 lines on every page, so that makes it easy to keep track of numbering.

The initial idea was that I wanted to get a full thousand (like, you know, one thousand gifts) by the New Year, but it's the end of October and I only have about 350. So it's probably not going to happen. Maybe next year. :)

It's not that I don't have one thousand things to be thankful for, as much as I forget 95% of them when I actually sit down to write in the journal. Haha! Truly, though, it's a work in progress, and I enjoy the challenge of thinking up more blessings to record down. This whole thing has also spilled over onto my Pinterest boards (of course), and I now have an entire board called 'Life is Beautiful', which is basically just pictures and beautiful things to remember not to take for granted. (If you're interested in that, you can view that board here.)

I'm including this post in my on-going (and very spread-out) series on 'Peculiar Arts', because it's something not enough people out there are doing, or even realize they should be doing. And it's an art; recognizing beauty where others see nothing is certainly an art.

You should try it.

Start with 10. Just ten things you find beauty and blessing in.

Then 100.

Next thing you know, your list might just start looking like mine...




#7 - Black and White Pictures



#18 - Books

#93 - Vintage Stuff


#111 - Hats


#162 - Mechanical Pencils


#190 - Nancy Drew Mysteries


#269 - Family Camp

#275 - Stick Horses


#281 - Bicycles


#299 - Pioneer Dresses

#302 - Hay Rides

What are you thankful for?




2 comments:

  1. You sure have a lot of "Nancy Drew Mysteries". I can relate because my older sister has a lot and we have added more over the years rom "Applewood" Publishers. They have a large selection of older books and series.
    Marilyn

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha! You're very right! I do have quite the collection. It all started when my grandfather (my mom's dad) bought me a box full of them from a garage sale for a quarter each, because he thought I might like them, when I was 6 years old. I've added a few more to the row, myself, and have a couple of first editions! That picture isn't even all of them... ;)

      Delete

I love comments almost as much as I love dark chocolate (and that's a lot!), so be sure to leave your thoughts for me!!

All comments are moderated, so if you don't see your comment right away, don't worry, just give it a couple of hours to be published.

Thanks so very much for reading!

01 09 10 01 09 10