Monday, October 10, 2016

One Last Missions Trip Post + Pictures

Google Drive is awesome.

Everybody shared their pictures with me on there.

It's like the ultimate concentrated nostalgia.

The only reason I'm putting these out in a post is because I love blog posts about missions work (and/or missions trips). The pictures are my favorite part. And forget posing. I want to see every single picture. I want to see the culture. The love. The fun.

This is for anybody out there who might feel the same way.

Extra missions trip pictures. <3

(Warning: these are not arranged in any kind of order.)


At the Jubilee, your registration fee (about $1.50 US) paid for three meals a day up at the church. Dinner was never on time, but nobody minded. The fellowship was the best. 


A church service during Jubilee. Note how the entire structure is made out of bamboo.


We met a little family that lives on some rice paddies down in a valley between the mountains. We left some food, money, and the Gospel message. 


Another church service picture. The white building to the right is the actual church in Bang Lim (the village), but it's way too small to hold the 1,800 (approx) Jubilee attendees, so they built the bamboo one. Even though the white church is technically a building, don't let it fool you- everything is open-air in Bang Lim.




Donning our Jingpaw silvers and getting ready to (or possibly cooling off after?) manau-ing. (It's called a dance, but it's really like marching in a big pattern to tell a story.)


We left these precious orphans with some snacks and the Gospel. 


Moses and I. I think my face looks horrible in this picture mostly because we were saying goodbye and I was trying not to cry. Moses is an amazing kid. He is working on his English, and he has a very comprehensive understanding of music. He has a servant's heart, and is willing to do absolutely anything to help out. He's also giggly! I had to hush him and Grace (his cousin) down in church a time or two. ;)


A group of Bible College students tracked Janan and I down for a picture. Just another normal thing. I look so funny, I guess, that they need a picture with my German-bred whiteness. Haha! I like this one, especially, though, because I'm matching a couple of the other girls.


In Thailand, the medics take naps on stretchers. Do you see it?


That time we were in Thailand and I had to get a photo of the no photography sign. I'm so rebellious, I know, it's terrible.


Then there was that time Janan saw this stray cat in the marketplace. [Cue: take five thousand pictures]


We bought Mung Seng San an ice cream cone at a Thailand Dairy Queen!! (Fun fact: Dairy Queens in Thailand are quite a bit cheaper than here in the States!)


This is the meal. In Narita, Japan. This is where I learned how to use chopsticks. It's really a good thing I have so many Asian friends. Haha!



Aren't the mountains gorgeous, though?! (Bang Lim)


At night, after preaching services, there were "talent shows" on the big stage, and different groups would get up and do tribal-style dances, where every dance tells a story. During the dance, you can go up and put colorful "necklaces" (think: Christmas tree garland) on the dancers, to show your appreciation. One night during the show, a friend paid the offering for Janan and I, and a few other friends, to go up and put the necklaces on the dancers. It's kind of hard and funny to run down dancers while they are dancing and throw necklaces around their heads. Ha!


Afternoon nap. *happy sigh*


I met this World War II veteran! He's 110 years old, and he served in the war alongside the allies.

He has some of the most amazing stories you will ever hear anywhere.


This river! We crossed over on a tiny two-plank-thick bamboo bridge. But later we just got in, anyways. This is Dim Dim washing his clothes.

At one point, one of the little girls lost a shoe in the current, and I dove in after it, and everybody laughed at me, soaking wet, rescuing the shoe. It was fun. And cold. :)


I know this is a terrible picture, but it's the only one I've got, and it has a great backstory. 

Four of us were out for a early dinner in Keng Tung on a certain Sunday evening, and we were at this little cafe waiting on our noodles (side note- the noodles were amazing), and I get tapped on the shoulder by this little girl (in the yellow). I turn around with a smile and enthusiastic greeting, not expecting anything other than a child who wants his or her picture with the oddly-white, blonde girl. And then, to my surprise, she speaks English right back at me!

Her mom didn't know three words of English but both of these girls, sisters, were so very conversationally fluent! I was impressed! They go to an English school in Rangoon that really needs a high five for a job well done!

We talked for a bit. They had come in for American food (hamburger and french fries) at this cafe, and I was there for the noodles. And there was a limit to what we could discuss, since they only understood English vocabulary as far as their teachers had taught them.

But... I asked to take a picture with them.

This was a new thing for me. I had pretty much gotten completely used to everybody wanting a picture with me.

But I met these girls. And I needed a picture with them.


This is a hot springs just outside of Keng Tung. It's an attraction because people come and buy eggs up the hill at a little tent, and come here and boil them and eat them.

This picture smells like boiled eggs, to me.


Another picture in the orphanage. "Passing out snacks" is code for opening chip bags for every single kid. ;)



Don't you just wish you could take them all home?!


Our group was so open-ended. On both sides. We started out with seven, and even though we have seven here, it's a different seven than what we started with.

At one point we had thirteen. But by the time we were flying home, we only were four.

It was interesting to travel in such a flexible group like that.


"Oh! A creepy, broken swinging bridge! I'll go out a few steps, and you take my picture so it looks like I walked over the entire thing!"


Fresh coconut water in Thailand. I didn't like it at first, but by the time we went home, I was mourning my loss.


Waiting in front of our hotel for the taxi to take us to the elephant camp in Chiang Mai, Thailand. A couple of my favorite girls ever, right here! <3


And there was that time I got to eat my favorite Thai dish- Pad Thai- in Thailand!!



This dear lady fed us a late lunch when we were starving, and I'll never forget how absolutely fantastic it all was!! She speaks La Hu, and I can only say "Thank you" in La Hu, so I just said "Thank you" about two and a half million times. :)


Buddhist statues. Creepy!


I've had this one on a previous blog post, but I wanted to give an explanation as to what you're looking at:

This girl was fetching water for her family. She probably had a mom or older sister up those stairs at her house needing water to get dinner started. So she ran. Down the stairs and down the street (which is on a hill, itself), to the well. She would fill her three buckets with water at the well, and then run as fast as she could back up the street, and up the stairs, and into her house. The buckets had holes all in them, so if she didn't hurry, the buckets would be empty by the time she made it back to her house.

I know this still-shot doesn't capture it. 

It just makes me think about that time Jesus talked to the Samaritan Woman at the Well (John 4). Her buckets probably had holes, too. She was probably tired of running her buckets home, too. 

I didn't get to talk to this girl in the picture, but I pray for her. I pray that some way she will learn of Jesus Christ and get a taste of that water that will quench her thirst forever and seal her buckets' holes. 


Bathrooms that come with instructions, anyone? ;)


The t-shirts in Thailand are wacky... How about this one? It defines the "two letter English word": Up.


THIS PICTURE!!

It's SO amazing for multiple reasons.

1) NOODLES

2) SUNFLOWER SEEDS

3) FRUIT AND TOOTHPICKS


This is the hospital in the La Hu village, which is right down the road (less than a mile) from Bang Lim.


I really like this picture. I wasn't there when Hannah snapped this one, so I don't know the details, but can't you just see her life in the wrinkles on her face?


Butchering for the Jubilee meals.


What dinner means in Burma.


Laundry. This building she is crouching in front of is the outhouse. There are laundry lines behind the outhouse.


The make-shift Jubilee kitchen area.


Church in Keng Tung.


The market in Keng Tung. 


Keng Tung market again. I just love these atmosphere shots!! Nothing could really capture the environment, but candid pictures are about as close as it gets.


Market again. :)


(Burma) Yes, that is Buddha meditating on/inside a serpent. *shivers*


So at Ah Tung Hannah's house (Keng Tung, Shan State, Burma), we could walk out on the roof and watch the road. We must have looked awful strange, because we got a lot of stares and giggles. If you can't tell in this picture, the four walkers were laughing at us.


My favoritest breakfast in Burma!! Its a fried flatbread, basically. The small white bowl has beans in it. What you do is get a double portion of beans (it's like a nickle more, so no biggie), and get a big spoon of beans on every bite of flatbread. MMMMmmmmm...

The small glass off to the right is hot tea. It has sweetened condensed milk in it (or the Burmese version, at least), and it's so super yummy!! 

Mornings, even in summer, are chilly up in the mountainous parts of Shan state, so a warm breakfast always sounds good! 


In a lot of the grocery stores/malls in Thailand, there are shrines right inside the front doors. It's horrible. Always people stopping to bow and pray and drop money in the collection box (bottom left of picture). They're all just searching for a way to lighten their load, and they haven't even ever heard of The Way, The Truth, and The Life.


Grocery stores are kinda cool, though, in Thailand, besides the Buddhas. Most of the big ones have full restaurants and food courts.


This guy (bottom row, middle) is such a blessing! He has an amazing spirit, and turns every conversation around to God and His greatness! I'm really glad I had the opportunity to meet him and talk to him a bit. (His English is good, too!)


This shot, if I'm remembering correctly, is from a market area in Thailand. This market, though, was not outside, but on the bottom level of a mall. I might be wrong. But they all look similarly. ;)


Around Bang Lim we almost always had a cluster of small people following at a safe distance.


We walk across this bridge, and -Wa La!- we've left Burma (Myanmar) and are now entering Thailand!


Eating in an open-air restaurant right along the Chiang Mai Night Bazaar in Thailand.


A Thai view from my hotel window in Mae Sai.


Another Mae Sai hotel-window-scene. I'm kind of liking the roof-top clothesline.


Look! You see that dirt?! That's Chinese dirt!! You see those clouds?! Chinese clouds!! I was basically in China. Chinese air, least ways. ;)


Gourmet Thai, anyone? Yep. That deep fried serpent head fish with sour soup is going to cost 350 Baht. That comes out to about $11 USD, and is the most expensive thing on the menu.


So the very day we flew from Japan to Burma, we stayed in this hotel in Rangoon. This sink isn't anything special. But you see that plaque on the front? "The Advanced Technology from Japan". ;D


In Bangkok, Thailand, after weeks of using public restrooms where paper towels don't exist. [Choir Ahs]


(Bangkok, Thailand) Asian twists on American classics are hilarious. This little mall booth sold fried seafood. It looked like oysters to me. Maybe some squid. And it wasn't fresh... Haha!


(Please disregard my face.) Squished up in that Burmese car like a bunch of Asians!


We were SO blessed to have some friends to stay with in Bangkok. Doubly blessed that they have this amazing lake-front home! And like four guest bedrooms!


(Home) A pile of souvenirs on my bed back at home. But my favorite? These six little rocks. Why? Well, let's see...

First of all, I have an extensive rock collection. 

Secondly, Hawng Dau gave me these rocks. We were hiking along, back to the village, after a swim in the waterfall, and he kept handing me rocks he thought were neat. I pocketed them, marveling at his rocks, and thanking his kindness. The kid is only, what? Like 8 years old? And he's the best. And he has an awesome taste in rocks.

And finally, I love these rocks because they are Burma. Literally. Since God created the Earth, these rocks have been Burma. 

And now they're in my bedroom.

I don't know about you, but I think that's pretty cool.


**Many, many thanks to the Clements family + Hannah for sharing their pictures with me, and subsequently, with all of you, my readers! They might not all be HD, but they're true.**

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love comments almost as much as I love dark chocolate (and that's a lot!), so be sure to leave your thoughts for me!!

All comments are moderated, so if you don't see your comment right away, don't worry, just give it a couple of hours to be published.

Thanks so very much for reading!

01 09 10 01 09 10