Monday, September 19, 2016

Before I Thought to Pray: A Time of Testimony



This time last year we were moving. Packing up boxes, tying up loose ends, saying our goodbyes... moving.

Oklahoma was kind of an exciting prospect for me; the first move I was relatively excited for in eight years. But it was still sad. Our church. Our neighbors. All those adorable little kids I got to babysit and teach piano to every week. Friends. Kroger cashiers and Taco Bell dive-thru workers.

Starting all over again in a new state.

Collective inhale.

As far as I knew, the new job had more or less fallen into my dad's lap. We hadn't been planning on moving. We weren't looking to move. So maybe the move felt unnecessary. Like why did we, if we didn't have to. Or need to. Et cetera.

That's not the end, though.

About a month after we got up here was when the oil market really started suffering again. The group my dad worked with in his old company was dissolved, and all of his former co-workers were either laid off or demoted to other positions.

But my dad was in Oklahoma. In a blossoming company (one who was actually buying up a lot of the assets of his old, crumbling company). We could afford a bigger house with more land. My dad's commute was cut in half. We got that small-town feel we'd been wanting for. A puppy. And, let's face it, the weather is more desirable. And none of the build boards up here are in Spanish.

I don't have three points to success this week.

I just want to encourage y'all. Wherever you are, whatever you're doing, when God redirects things in confusing ways that just aren't really clicking, trust His bigger plan.


For my thoughts are not your thoughts, neither are your ways my ways, saith the LORD.
For as the heavens are higher than the earth, so are my ways higher than your ways, and my thoughts than your thoughts.
-Isaiah 55:8-9

If God had not laid this job in my dad's lap, he probably would have been jobless before the year was over. 

We had no foresight of this. We didn't know to pray about that. 

We couldn't have even thought that job security was something to take to God in prayer, at least, not at that time. 

Yet, God answered that unknowingly-needed prayer, anyways. 

But when ye pray, use not vain repetitions, as the heathen do: for they think that they shall be heard for their much speaking. Be not ye therefore like unto them: for your Father knoweth what things ye have need of, before ye ask him.
-Matthew 6:7-8

He is so good to us! And we are so undeserving! Praise Him for His matchless grace which extends to us even when we don't know we need it! 

If you find yourself in the middle of a change you didn't think you needed... Trust. Give it to God and trust. 

And don't forget to look back after it's all over and give Him the glory for the good He worked in all of that mess you couldn't understand with your humanly, too-close perspective. I'm definitely not perfect at it (or anything else, truly), but let's work on it together. <3 

3 comments:

  1. Kimberly,your post on prayer was really encouraging to me! My family moved recently to a remote community nestled in the Cascade Mountains. Much like you,I did not see why we had to move. We had just found the most amazing body of believers and made the most wonderful friends. I was looking forward to a nice quiet summer of fun and perhaps a little preparation for college. Then the Stehekin school district posted a job opening. My dad had been looking for a new job in our area.He applied,never thinking he would get it. He was interviewed,and we were all praying that he wouldn't get it! (None of us really wanted to move..change and uncertainty,and,as you mentioned,trust,are so hard!) And of course,he was offered the job.The move, and leaving all our family and friends,took a lot of faith. Quite a few tears were shed. We have only been here about four weeks,but we are slowly beginning to realize what a wonderful thing God gave us. Stehekin,with all its challenges,is a neat place to live.My father has the teaching opportunity of his lifetime,the only teacher at the last one-room schoolhouse in the state,and he is able to teach my two younger sisters. My brother is loving the beautiful outdoors,my mother has been feeling so much better,free of the migraines that used to plague her,and I have grown in trusting Jesus to care for us. I still miss our church,family and friends,but God is showing me how much better His plans are than mine,and how He wants to use us here. His thoughts are indeed so much higher! God was way ahead of me!
    Thank you for bringing this up!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aww thank you for sharing your heart, Jenny! I've been praying for your family as you try to adjust to this new situation, and hopefully learn to trust Him more and love each other more purely. I'm so glad to hear you're already seeing God's hand at work in this hard situation! He is so good to us!! We just have to see and praise.

      Thank you for commenting, dear!! I hope to see you around and commenting more often!! <3

      Delete
    2. Thank you so much for your prayers! I really appreciate all of the wonderful support of people like you..I mean,I only met you once,and for such a short time,too! I have heard so much about you from Mykaela but I had no idea you were bringing my family and I up to God!

      I will definitely be reading and commenting on your blog! It is such an inspiration to me. Now that we have internet access,I am really excited to be able to read posts like yours and Mykaela's. God bless!

      Delete

I love comments almost as much as I love dark chocolate (and that's a lot!), so be sure to leave your thoughts for me!!

All comments are moderated, so if you don't see your comment right away, don't worry, just give it a couple of hours to be published.

Thanks so very much for reading!

01 09 10 01 09 10