Monday, August 15, 2016

Blogger Book Tag (You're It!)



I keenly remember the first time I fell in love with a book. I was six years old. My parents were having a painting/work day at our at-the-time-new health food store in Petal, Mississippi. I was to sit and entertain my little sister, Kristen, in the back/play room. That didn't happen. That was the day I discovered Nancy Drew Mysteries.

And that was the first day of the rest of my life.

I am passing along this book-lover's tag, as started by Lauren of One Bright Corner.



1. Name a book you’re embarrassed to say you haven’t read yet.

To Kill a Mockingbird by Harper Lee. You see, I usually have this rule that I don't want to watch the movie until I've read the book, but this has been the exception. I have already seen the movie. *hangs head in shame*

2. What is the strangest thing you’ve ever used as a bookmark?

A skittles wrapper, a pencil, a chapstick tube, a piece of wrapped gum...

3. Look at your bookshelf. What’s the first book you see with a yellow spine?

Nancy Drew Mystery #24, The Clue in the Old Album, by Carolyn Keene (which, of course, is only a pen name, used by many different people who wrote Nancy's stories).


4. If you could have one new book from a deceased author, who would it be?

Ohhh... I don't know. On one hand I'd say Laura Ingalls Wilder. Laura's books were all fictitious, but she was drafting a book that was supposed to be more truthful when she quit writing at the time of Almanzo's death. Otherwise, I'd say Jane Austen. She is a great favorite of mine, and the world could certainly use another Mr. Knightley.

5. Name an author who deserves more readership.

Darlene Dibler Rose. She has an amazing Christian missionary auto-biography that most of the world doesn't know exists. (For reference, Evidence Not Seen has just over 3,100 reviews on Goodreads; whereas The Hiding Place, by Ms. ten Boom, has 155,400. In my opinion, they should have comparable readership.)

6.  Bookmark or random piece of paper?

Bookmark. Definitely. But if they are all occupied, I'm not picky. Bookmarks just get first priority.


7. Can you stop anywhere in a book or do you have to finish the chapter?

I pretty much have to finish the chapters. There are instances, however, when I'm really tired, but need to get past a certain loop or scene to be able to sleep; then, I'll just stop wherever the scene ends.

8. One book at a time or several?

One book at a time. If I have several going, it means I don't particularly love any of them.

9. Do you read ahead or skip pages?

Gracious, no!

10. Breaking the spine or keeping it like new?

Keeping it like new as long as possible!

11. What books do you regret reading?

Dana's Valley by Jannete Oke and Laurel Oke Logan. It's just... The book was a big story of their whole family falling apart. Falling away from church. Their relationships increasingly strained. Sickness. Pain. Inward turmoil. And then, in the end, the one sweet, Jesus-loving daughter dies of cancer. The entire family (including me) cries at her funeral, and Dana's little sister plays her favorite hymn on the piano, and it's over. No reconciliation. No 'I Have Decided to Follow Jesus' moment. Funeral of everybody's favorite character. The end. I still have scars on my heart.

The other literary regret I can think of is The Series of Unfortunate Events by Lemony Snicket (Daniel Handler). I read all 13 books only to be severely disappointed with what, in my opinion, is still the worst series ending I have ever read. The one upside to the entire series, though, would be that the books were good for my vocabulary, and I learned to think in big words. The storyline conclusion, though? No. Just no.

12. On average, how many books do you read per year?

Oh, I think somewhere between 30-40. This year, I am at 22 so far, but most of them have been pretty long books (350-500+ pages), and I took an entire month off of reading when I was in Asia. 'Average' is such a complicated word, isn't it?

13. What book can you read hundreds of times and never get tired of?

Young Pioneers by Rose Wilder Lane. That's my go-to feel-good/sappy/light/two-day read. 

14. What's the biggest lesson you've learned from a book?

Ever?! I've read so many books, though! Lately, though, I'd have to say that it was the lesson of gratefulness from One Thousand Gifts by Ann Voskamp. After that book, I view Salvation and personal health as definite gifts from God, but just a couple of the biggest. The prairie sunsets. The puttery old mail trucks. Church steeples. Storms that make us stronger so we can climb the mountain on the other side of the loch. Everything is a gift from God.

15. What is the most recent book you've read?

Jane Eyre by Charlote Bronte. (You can read my review here.)


16. What quote from any book will you never forget? Why is it significant?

Honestly, the first thing that pops into my head is Psalm 56:3.

"What time I am afraid, I will trust in Thee."

I memorized the verse without ever truly intending to, back in the day when I was the world's biggest fan of the Mandie series by Lois Gladys Leppord. Mandie, the main character of the series (no kidding, eh?), repeated the verse every book, every time she was truly fearful, sometimes even for her life. Even today, now an adult, if I come upon something that strikes fear within my heart, I pray Psalm 56:3. 

17. How many books do you own?

Oh goodness... Let me go count...

246!

Whew. That took forever. And that's not including my plethora of Kindle books and magazines. Those would be at least a few hundred in number, too.

(Note- some of my books might technically belong to my parents... I counted the books on my bookshelves in my room, and that's the number.)


18. Of the past year, what is the greatest book you've read?

Joyfully at Home by Jasmine Bauchem. That book just revolutionized the way I view stay-at-home daughter-hood. I now look at it as my calling, rather than the leftovers. I see the purpose in my existence and this stage of my life, rather than pining away that God used up all the purposefulness on my peers. I know that God's will is for me to be right where I am, and even though not every day is super easy, I can lie my head down at night contentedly, knowing that I fulfilled God's plan for my life that day, even if I never left my parent's house!


~ ~ ~


Now it's your turn!! (Come on. Don't tell me you've never played tag before!)

If you are a fellow bookworm or literature enthusiast, I invite you to share your favorite books with me!! I'm always looking for something new to add to my forever-long reading list! What do you recommend?

And if you're a blogger, pass the book tag along, and leave the link to your post in the comments below, so I/we can find you! This is going to be so fun!!

Now, if you would excuse me, I have some serious reading to do.


Image Sources (in order of appearance): 

7 comments:

  1. I did it! waitingonthe-lord.blogspot.com :)
    ~Megan

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow! You're fast! It took me like three days to write and edit this post. Haha! I love your answers! Thanks for sharing!!

      Delete
    2. Oh, and 'Love Comes Softly' is an excellent book!! You should definitely read it soon! :)

      Delete
    3. Thanks! It was fun. :) I can't wait to read 'Joyfully at Home'. It's definitely on my list of upcoming reads.

      Delete
  2. Thanks so much for sharing Kimberly! I loved reading your answers and seeing how we have some similar book tastes! I have read Evidence not Seen, and it is one of my favorites...I definitely agree with you there! But you should really read To Kill a Mockingbird...the writing is simply amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I did it too! :) Here 'tis. Thanks for tagging me, Kimberly, and thanks for starting it up, Lauren!! :) Tons of fun! http://makingmusickforthemaster.blogspot.com/2016/08/fun-post-book-tag.html

    ReplyDelete
  4. This was a delightful post and now I shall go and write my own!

    ReplyDelete

I love comments almost as much as I love dark chocolate (and that's a lot!), so be sure to leave your thoughts for me!!

All comments are moderated, so if you don't see your comment right away, don't worry, just give it a couple of hours to be published.

Thanks so very much for reading!

01 09 10 01 09 10