Monday, January 25, 2016

Fundraising, Why I Fear It, and Why I Shouldn't



Fundraising.

Raising funds.

It's a good idea, and a lot of people are willing to help, if you've got a good cause.

But it scares me. I don't want to ask people for money, or beg. People don't like people whom are needy. And I want people to like me.

So when it comes to fundraising for personal reasons (like a missions trip), I shy away. I'd rather work hard for a few years and save the money myself. But, God's been teaching me things lately.

One big thing: Nothing is "personal".

Nothing only effects me.

Without further ado, I give you 3 Reasons Fundraisers are a Good Thing...

     1. It Effects Them

Here's the deal. I'm trying to get to Burma. I know it is God's will, and I have His peace in my heart about the matter, so I will be going. The financial aspect is a bit frustrating right this minute, but give me a couple months, and I won't even remember the struggles.

I'm trying to fundraise, because I need the help. Without help, I can't go. I can't effect them. Jesus can't effect them through me.

     2. It Effects (the other) Them

Not only does it effect all of those people a hop, skip, and 20 hour flight across the pond. Fundraising can effect the 'them' right here at home, too.

You remember when the apostle Paul quoted Jesus as saying "It is more blessed to give than to receive," (Acts 20:35b)? The people back here at home whom help you (or.. me...) get over there can receive a different, but amazing, blessing, also!! I mean, I know I'm not married, and I'm not going overseas to live for Jesus the rest of my days, so it's slightly (okay, okay, a tiny bit more than slightly) different. Just the same, though, fundraising for my missions trips is extending the blessing beyond me and my I-can-earn-the-money-for-myself attitude. It means that every life reached and blessed by Jesus is done not only through me, but also through every single person that helped me get there. I don't know about you, but I find this pretty amazing!

     3. It Effects Me

I am a prideful, fleshly sinner. Anything good you see in me is Christ.

Fundraising is scary to me, because it means relinquishing control. It means swallowing my pride. It means a little bit of begging. It means some people could get annoyed with my incessant postings asking for donations on Facebook, and "unfriend" me. (*gasp* how DARE they?!?!).

But. It's good for me. It really is.

          1) I'm learning a lesson. Or two. I'm re-learning for the bazillionth time that I can't do anything in and of myself. Not by my power. Not by my might. Only by the Spirit of God. (A prayer I've adapted, using Zechariah 4:6.)

          2) I GET TO GO TO BURMA?!?!?!! Now, maybe, just maybe, some teenage girl over there actually speaks some English (because my Jingpaw is basically... um... not.), and I can witness to her and she'll accept Christ into her heart. That would be effecting her. Her family. Her future. Her. But, let's say that doesn't happen. Whether or not something like that does come to pass or not, I'll still be washing my clothes by hand for a month. I'll still be learning that not all seven billion of us humans have porcelain toilets. And most of the seven billion definitely don't have FOUR, like my family does. I'll go to church outside, and get sweaty, and tell everybody about Jesus to the best of my not-very-good-at-language-learning ability. I know this trip will be better for me than probably anybody else involved.

______________________________________________________________

Okay! That just about concludes it! I hope I was of some encouragement to someone, somewhere!

If you are interested in contributing towards my 2016 Burma missions trip, you can take this link, or click on the widget at  the top right hand side of the blog home page (if you're on a browser; I don't think the widgets show up on mobile). The fundraiser site has more info on my story and plans, if you are interested, and the fundraiser "goal" is March 20, 2016. Even though I would SO appreciate anything you could give, I would even appreciate your prayers so much MORE!! Prayer is the most powerful thing in the world. Please, if you can't give me money, I understand, but I covet your prayers!!

Other ways you can support me and my missions trip are to...

     1)  subscribe up at the top right hand side of the home page. I promise no more than 1 post per week! Get the posts straight to your email with no hassle, and support me and my causes at the same time!
     2) share this post with your friends! I have handy share buttons at the bottom of each post, and each picture found on this blog is an embedded Pinterest-ready image. Just hover over the image, and quickly pin it to your favorite board! Easy as eating a slice of delicious pie!


Thank you all for your love, support, and prayers! Have a great week, and don't fear fundraisers! :)


No comments:

Post a Comment

I love comments almost as much as I love dark chocolate (and that's a lot!), so be sure to leave your thoughts for me!!

All comments are moderated, so if you don't see your comment right away, don't worry, just give it a couple of hours to be published.

Thanks so very much for reading!

01 09 10 01 09 10